How To Increase Your Home Value Through Landscaping
May 21st, 2015
There’s nothing more important than a first impression, and for potential homebuyers, landscaping is one of the most obvious aspects they notice when first looking at a prospective home. Good landscaping can not only increase a home’s value, but may also help sell it much quicker.
Here are a few benefits of what proper landscaping can do for your home:
- Increase curb appeal and seduce buyers to see the inside of your home.
- Differentiate your home from the others in your neighborhood.
- Create a more functional backyard, which leads to fewer renovations for buyers in the future; thus, making the home highly desirable.
So, where to go from here?
Simplicity is Key
While you may enjoy spending your entire weekend arranging and rearranging plants to create the perfect flow in your backyard, potential buyers may not get as excited about this particular pastime.
On the other hand, if you are a minimalist when it comes to landscaping, you might want to incorporate a few shrubs to fill the gaps and make it seem less empty. When you are in the process of choosing plants for your landscape, think about which ones you would enjoy looking at all throughout the year.
Monitor Plant Growth
Soon after you plant for the first time, the plants will begin growing, and you need to keep that growth in check.
Get rid of all the interferences created by plants, such as overgrown bushes blocking window views or tree roots that could trip people up on your pavements. Replace any dying plants and trees with new ones. Lastly, keep all the shrubbery and trees well-trimmed.
Now, we understand that you are most likely very busy living your life to be constantly monitoring your plant growth, so here’s another tip that may ease the stress of landscaping…
Hire a Professional Landscaper
It always feels great to finish a DIY project, however if you’ve been neglecting your landscape maintenance for a while, it is wise to hire a professional landscaper…especially if you are about to put your house on the market! A professional landscaper will give you tips on how to revive your yard and which landscape changes will lead to the largest return on your investment.
Take Your Landscape Further Than a Perfect Lawn
- Decorative but functional lighting
- Outdoor entertainment areas like patios, fireplaces or grill stations. Try to make these areas as close to the feeling of hanging out inside your home as possible.
- Convenient and well-lit passages between the key outdoor areas. It should be an easy walk from inside the home to the outdoor areas. Through keeping the passages clean and even, you won’t have to worry about any scraped knees this summer (who are we kidding, though, that’s going to happen regardless!)
- Solutions for shade and privacy.
- Attractive driveway and house entrance. The walkways to entryway are a way for people to sense the inside of the home right through the door.
Even if you don’t plan on selling your home for another five or 10 years, now is a good time to lay the groundwork for a breathtaking landscape design that is sure to wow future homebuyers. Starting early will allow you to stretch renovations gradually over the years instead of investing all at once. The other advantage of starting now is that it gives your plants time to grow. By the time you decide to put your house on the market, your plants will be luscious and full.
Whether you hire a professional landscaper or take on the project on your own, it still comes across to homebuyers that you care about your beautiful landscape – something any homebuyer would appreciate.